Man wearing a mask while applying hand sanitizer while sitting in a window seat on an airplane

All non-essential university travel, both international and domestic (including travel by motor vehicle), is suspended until further notice. Information about study abroad programs is available in academics.

What You Need to Know

Types of Travel

Essential Travel
International or domestic travel may be deemed “essential” only when the travel demonstrably and significantly advances one or more of the following:
  • Maintenance of critical business functions

  • Continuity of grant funding or completion of grant-required activities and deadlines

  • Ability to meet contract deliverable requirements

  • Timely and critical research and scholarship opportunities

  • Continuity in academic progress, degree completion, or graduation

If you have any questions, please email
In-Bound Travel

We require students, staff, and faculty to check the UO’s symptom self-check regulations before coming to campus. The symptom self-check regulations provide information on the current regulations and procedures that you must complete before coming to the university.

International Arrivals

I​​​​​f you are arriving from outside the United States, the CDC currently recommends travelers stay home or another private space for 14 days and self-monitor for symptoms. Please find additional information and instructions on this CDC's guidelines for returning from international travel [en Español].

For more information about international travel to the United States, please review the CDC's most updated information about travel [en Español].

Travel FAQs

Traveling to Eugene

Can I travel to campus from another location?

Those with university-related business—faculty, staff, students, visitors, and vendors—are permitted on campus at this time, but you must follow all guidelines from the Oregon Health Authority [en Español].

The COVID-19 building status interactive map shows current campus building access and status.

Members of the campus community should be prepared to show their UO ID cards when entering open facilities. UO ID cards are required to gain entry to limited access and restricted buildings.

Researchers and research staff are required to log their on-campus research activity via the OVPRI on-campus research form.

Before coming to campus, you are required to conduct a symptom self-check for COVID-19 symptoms. Do not travel to campus if you are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms.

On campus, you are required to wear face coverings inside buildings and outside when physical distancing is not possible. The UO will make face coverings available to those who need them, and individuals may choose to wear their own personal face coverings.

Is it safe to travel to Eugene?

If you travel to the Eugene area from other locations in the United States, we encourage you to follow the CDC guidelines for travel within the United States [en Español]. 

If you are traveling to campus from outside of the US, please refer to guidance from International Student and Scholar Services.

I am an international student. Can I come back to campus?

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) will help international students make plans for the fall and winter terms. More information is available in guidance for continuing students.

Traveling from Eugene

Is UO-sponsored travel permitted?

All nonessential university travel, both international and domestic (including local travel by motor vehicle), is suspended until further notice.

Faculty and staff may submit a travel waiver petition for essential travel—with the approval of their respective dean or vice president—to the Incident Management Team's Travel Advisory Group using the travel waiver request form. You must send the request at least 7 business days before travel to obtain approval.

More information and guidance on UO travel can be found at the Office of the Provost's travel information.

What is the UO policy on personal travel?

Individuals are advised to review travel-related guidance from the state of Oregon, individual state or local health departments [en Español], and CDC guidelines [en Español] when considering personal travel.

You do not need to submit a waiver for personal travel.

During fall and winter terms, will you be tracking and testing students, faculty, and staff who have traveled or left school during the weekend or school breaks?

We will follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's guidance for institutions of higher education [en Español].

Trip Cancellation

Does the university have travel insurance to cover my trip cancellation?

The UO’s supplemental travel insurance policy provides coverage for medical care while traveling abroad and security evacuation. The trip cancellation benefit applies if an insured person has been advised by a physician that they are not medically fit to travel due to an illness or injury.